Tuesday, April 1, 2014

If I Could Turn Back Time - Ella is Turning 7!

Any parent would agree that children make life worth living.  Sometimes children test our patience and sometimes they make us drink wine, but overall, looking into the face of a child makes anyone smile.  The day Ella was born was one of the happiest days of my life.





My pregnancy with Ella was easy.  As a matter of fact, the day before I went to the hospital I walked a couple of miles just for the heck of it.  I felt good.  A few contractions and one epidural later, I still felt food.  Many of you will curse at the screen when you read this, but I LOVED every minute of delivery with Ella and Tyler.  The pain is nothing when you are handed something so beautiful.






Year one was a year of lessons learned.  I learned what her different cries meant.  I learned that at 8 months, she could figure out how to jump out of her crib.  I learned that each coo meant she was happy and I learned that each smile meant she loved us.








Year two was a year of mobility.  She moved.  Fast.  As a first time parent I wasn't ready for the tornado named Ella.  I often found myself saying I can't wait until she can walk and things like I can't wait until she can talk.  Multiple steps and many...many...many words later, I started to take those sayings back.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?





Year three was one in which I saw my little toddler turn into a beautiful little girl.  I found her to be sweet and loving.  She was kind and happy.  Her smile would, and still does, light up a room.  Her tears pulled at my heartstrings and there was nothing I loved more than the cuddles she would give when she needed to be consoled.




Year four was one in which I found my best friend.  I know many parents that say I'm their parent - not their friend.  Well, I've decided that I'm both.  Because sometimes little 4-year-olds need a friend to play with, but a parent to keep them on the straight and narrow.  So far, I have been able to do both.




Year five was BY FAR one of the most heart-breaking.  The day I sent Ella to Kindergarten was the day my world came crashing down around me.  I know this may sound dramatic, but it's true.  She was a big girl.  She walked down our street with a backpack that was bigger than her and she looked so grown up.  Her teacher was kind enough to let us come into the room, and I cried.  I cried a lot.  She looked at me and said, "Mom, you can go into the gym with the other parents."  That's when I knew I had done something right.  BUT, I can't take all the credit - Streator Child Development Center helped to create this beautiful, independent, confident child.  This year I watched her grow into an intelligent girl.




Year six has been a joy.  I remember standing in the card aisle looking for her birthday card.  I was in Kroger and I was looking at all of the cards with the number 5 on them.  While standing there, it struck me that I should be looking at the cards with a number 6 instead.  Right there, the tears started to flow.  My little girl...the girl that I held in my arms, the girl that jumped out (or in reality probably fell out) of her crib at 8 months, the girl that lit up the stage and stole the show in her first dance performance, the girl that willingly tells me she loves me and hugs me good-bye in front of her friends - that little girl was turning 6.




Well folks - fast forward a  year later - and that little girl is turning 7.  That little girl who wears shoes almost as big as mine.  That little girl that I can no longer carry up the stairs.  That little girl that has many friends because she has a big heart.  That little girl that puts all others before herself and has 16 people coming to her birthday party because, "it's rude to leave people out mama."  That little girl that still calls me mama - she is turning 7.



This last picture was requested by her.  Because not only does she have a big heart when it comes to her friends, but she absolutely adores her brother. 

I often see people post on Facebook - My little one is growing up so fast....- and I often scroll right past the post.  But it's so true.  I honestly feel like she was just born and it's been 7 years!  In 7 more years I will have a freshman in High School, and 7 more years after that she will be in college.  I think Cher said it best....If I Could Turn Back Time....

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment