Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lily Ramirez - Class of 2014

As a teacher, I have the privilege of meeting some pretty amazing teenagers.  I met Lily her freshman year when I had her for English.  It was more than a joy to watch her grow into such a responsible, caring, and driven individual - despite many challenges along the way.





As a freshman, Lily was quiet.  She was the student that worked hard, got her work done on time, and was respectful.  She was the student that every teacher marvels at the idea of having in class.  I saw Lily's world fall apart when she lost her father to cancer.  I saw her sad, but what I saw in the days following his death was more than inspirational.





I saw Lily become an activist.  I saw her organize events to raise money for the American Cancer Society.  I saw her get up in front of hundreds of people at a basketball game to tell her story.  I saw her plan events to celebrate her father's life.  I saw a teenage girl with a purpose - and as a teacher this was so refreshing.




I later had Lily in Speech.  I remember how she demanded attention when she spoke.  She paused at appropriate places, she emphasized important points with tone and inflection, and she found her confidence in front of people.





One may assume that as a cheerleader, Lily had the innate confidence and poise to do anything in front of anyone.  BUT, I can say that speaking is different.  It takes a special person to be able to speak comfortably in front of others - and Lily became that person.




I was not fortunate enough to have Lily her Senior year, but she would stop in daily when she got back from work at Centennial School.  We would chat about life - how it was awesome on most days, but how it was awful on others.  My daughter, Ella, was afforded the opportunity to read with Lily for AR on some days.  Ella would always come home, beaming from ear to ear, because she got to read with Ms. Lily.




That's the impact that Lily has.  She is someone that everyone wants to know, and she is focused.  She sets goals for herself, and she is her biggest critic.  I know that Lily is going to be very successful in life, because she won't settle for anything less than successful.




I was very lucky in being given the opportunity to spend these last 4 years getting to know Lily.  She is definitely going to be missed, but Ella already said that if we want to see her, all we have to do is go to her workplace - DAIRY QUEEN!  I think we just may have to do that....very often!



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment